Wednesday, December 06, 2006

James Kim and his family may have been misled by GPS navigation on their way to Gold Beach, OR. I heard this on the radio this morning, and I could not find any articles, so I decided to blog it.

I did a comparison between Google Maps and MapQuest to see the default directions given to a user when plotting a route from Grants Pass, OR to Gold Beach OR.

This is the map given by Google:













This is the map from MapQuest:













As you will notice, Google Maps seems to have a shorter route. However, to the untrained driver, some of the roads proposed in the shorter route are apparently only open during certain seasons. I, personally, had a similar experience using DeLorme's TopoUSA.

We had an assignment at an unnamed military base. Since we were not familiar with the area, we decided to plot directions to our destination. To make a long story short, TopoUSA led us to back roads that turned out to be live fire ranges.

The bottom line is: use online directions and GPS navigation with caution. Ask the locals around for the preferred route. I personally would stick to major roads especially during winter times.

My thoughts are with James' and his family. Hopefully, they'll find him soon.

No comments: